from the Law Offices of Russell J. Goldsmith
Russell J. Goldsmith, the founder of the Law Offices of Russell J. Goldsmith, has been assisting
Some calls result in our advising an individual that their case appears to be a good candidate for the receipt of Social Security disability benefits, and that we would be happy to assist. Many times, however, we find that individuals may require some advice as to why an application for Social Security disability insurance and/or Supplemental Security Income benefits may not be advisable or in their best interest at that time, or at all. The advice we provide to these callers is just as important and it involves providing advice to an individual who may need to be told that they are barking up the wrong tree: this advice may serve to ensure that this individual does not end up spending what can be years undertaking applications and appeals that simply do not make sense to pursue.
All too often, we encounter disabled individuals who have been represented by either advocates or attorneys and simply do not understand why they continue to be denied time after time. In some circumstances, we find that the disabled individual may not have been advised about the long-term nature of a Social Security disability claim and the fact that they need to show that they remain “totally disabled from all forms of gainful employment for a year or longer despite prescribed treatment.” They may have only more recently gone out of work, or may not be following up with the types of treatment that would be expected by the Social Security Administration. It may be the fact that a disability claimant needs to hear the advice as to the types of treatment that should be undertaken first (and has not been attempted as of yet), before putting in an application for benefits. It may be that the disabled individual is not considering other types of work that might be more suitable given their medical condition and resulting functional limitations.
At the Law Offices of Russell J. Goldsmith, we take pride in the fact that we have served as a resource for the long-term disabled out of
- Social Security Administration Website: ssa.gov
- In order to find your local office, here is the Social Security Office Locator
- The Social Security Disability Planner
- To determine your eligibility for a Disability Income benefit, sign up for your My Social Security account and you'll be able to see your history of Social Security taxed earnings, whether you have sufficient quarters of coverage, and how much you'll be entitled to receive monthly should you be found disabled and entitled to benefits: ssa.gov/myaccount/
- To Determine What Earnings Constitutes Gainful Activity (SGA)
- Social Security Listing of Impairments for Adults
- Social Security Listing of Impairments for Children
- Social Security Medical Vocational Guidelines (Grid Rules)
- What Constitutes a Trial Work Period, Once Awarded Benefits
- What Amount of Earnings Constitutes Use of a Trial Work Period Month